Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Tuesday, 25 September 2007

September 25th - Roof repairs

Had Anna on site for the morning, tidying some of the accumulated clutter. I started sheeting around the picture window in the lounge, but almost immediately diverted to the roof to carry out some emergency repairs before the next rain. There were three areas of concern: The velux in bedroom 1 is only half-flashed, as my scaffold didn't quite take me to the end of the roof when I was slating that side a couple of weeks ago, and the temporary flashing I put up was leaking quite badly. One of the velux units in the bathroom was also leaking, as was an area beside the aperture for the waterfall window. I spent most of the day on the back roof, slating along to the end, and by late afternoon had passed the top of the big velux, flashing it as I went. All the flashing is now in place, and hopefully that problem should be sorted. The bathroom velux transpired to have a soaker missing, and the leak by the waterfall window was caused by rain blowing up under an unsecured edge of membrane, which I secured with gaffer tape, along with several other similarly flappy edges. All of this was carried out in dry weather, while the boys larked around in the straw-shed. Just as we left in the evening it started to rain, so I should know on arrival tomorrow whether the place is now tight.
Spoke to the taper, who should be with us on Monday... or Wednesday! Also set the wheels in motion for a cable to be run to the house by Scottish Power. Need to send over a scale diagram of the site.

No comments: