Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Sunday, 16 September 2007

September 16th - Roof repairs and membrane

Couldn't face blogging yesterday, because I'd made such an arse of the day's slating that I wanted to keep it to myself! I was tied up with other things in the morning, and spent the afternoon running a few strips of membrane around the south and east walls and slating almost to the ridge-line. When I was just a few rows from the top I took a measurement down from the ridge and discovered to my dismay that I was about 5" off the horizontal in a run of about 15 feet. I nipped up the banking to look at it from a distance, and it looked awful. One row had somehow kicked off line, and the three rows above had compounded rather than corrected the error.

Headed back today having decided to strip back the dodgy section and re-do it. The arduous part of the job is ferrying all the slates up to the roof in the first place, so I didn't think stripping and re-doing would take long. It turned out to be pretty straight-forward, although the strong gusty wind and frequent showers made it pretty unpleasant. I spent an hour or so fitting some more membrane to the west end, as the wind had started shredding the polythene. This meant removing the roof-hooks from the ladder so I could use it as a two-section job again.
Mal was sheeting downstairs in the dry, the lucky sod, and during the heaviest and most persistent shower I joined him for half-an-hour. Looking great inside now. He and Melvin have done a cracking job.

Reached the ridge-line by close of play, so can now take the scaffold down and use it to finish the straw and membrane, before tackling the remainder of the slating.

Yesterday's photos:


...and today's:


No comments: