Strawbale House

This blog is intended to chart our progress through the self-build process, from half-hearted plot-hunting through to completion of the build. The twist is that we're building the house from timber and straw (hence the blog title).

Click on the image at the end of each post to see that day's photos.

Friday 20 April 2007

April 20th - Glimmers of progress

We've now exchanged missives, but don't yet own the plot because Planning still haven't produced the goods. I have, however, had a letter saying it's in the offing, and expect it in a very few days. Encouraging chat with Building Control yesterday. I can apply for a phased warrant, which will enable me to get on site more or less straight away and get cracking with the ground-works while I'm waiting for final architectural drawings and frame calculations.
Currently batting drawings back and forward with Chris at Twisted Designs Architects. The structural engineer is toiling with a scheme to span the big open-plan area downstairs, and is talking about using steel beams and posts. I'd much rather stick with timber (engineered timber if necessary), and yesterday I sent over a sketch of a first-floor joist layout I'd been doodling with (see below). No doubt it's pie in the sky, but I just can't help myself. I bet I'm a nightmare client!



No comments: